You know that Middlebury has become too stressful when Mother Nature intervenes and forces all of us to take a mandatory study break. No lights, no computers, no music, no internet, no homework. For 6 hours. Enjoy. Sure, I was sad that I wasn’t going to finally put on a dress and heels and go to Spring Formal. But then two seconds later I got over it, found some candles flashlights and some friends and had probably one of the most enjoyable Saturday nigths on campus. As did just about everyone else. In the spirit of last night, here are a few enjoyable links to get you through this low-key, Sunday night.
- MOTHER LOVER: SNL, Post Secret and HuffPo have told their mothers how they feel. Have you? Well, you should. Right now. Call your mom.
- NOSE BREAKER: At the Met Ball on Tuesday night, Keifer Sutherland got a little angry at designer Jack McCollough and headbutted him, breaking his nose.
- KINDLE: Amazon’s Kindle, that got super-sized to DX this week, is going to save the newspaper industry, is going to be piracy’s friend, can’t pronounce Barack Obama, and will be the death of end-of-year college parties. Why can’t they just give us fries with that instead?
- MANNY: Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games for using a fertility drug. Clearly someone has watched John Tucker Must Die recently.
- NERD PROM: Wanda Sykes and President Obama were almost better than Stephen Colbert at this year’s Nerd Prom White House Correspondent’s dinner.
- MY LITTLE PONY: Who wants to watch Star Trek when you can watch Live-Action My Little Pony, starring the Horse of a Different Color from the Wizard of Oz?
- SPACE: Twitter goes into space in June when NASA Astronaut Mike Polansky boards the Space Shuttle. When will it go under water? (And, PS, in case you aren’t already sick of our incessant plugs for Twitter, don’t forget to list yourself, find others, and follow us.)
- MIDDLEBURY: Midd’s Web Makeover Team and White Whale are working hard together to get our new website ready. Expect an official debut next January. Yes, it will be different, but it will be awesome. Get used to it.
- EDWARDS: Life isn’t looking too great for former presidential candidate John Edwards right now, especially since his wife might not love him anymore and his staff may have conspired against him.
- NAMES: Did you make 2008’s Hot Baby Name list? You did? High five!
Website of the Week: The Sartorialist. Most of my friends and my mother have probably been waiting for me to put this website on website of the week because I check it more frequently than I check the stock market or dining hall menus. Basically, the Sartorialist is a chronicle of street fashion at its most stylish. All photos are taken by former GQ photographer Scott Schuman and make yesterday’s facebook uploads look like child’s play.
PS: Call your Mom.