Last time there was a campus-wide power outage, it lasted for six hours, was Mother Nature’s fault and happened at the start of the weekend. Today, it was two hours, was not Mother Nature’s fault and happened during the hours in which everyone intended to start cramming some work in. At least the dreariness and the rain (and the Red Sox and the Redskins) made for perfect napping conditions.
- GERMANY: Angela Merkel was re-elected as Prime Minister of Germany today, forming a CDU-FDP coalition that is expected to be pro-business and pro-free markets.
- RELIGION: 25% of Americans are expected to identify as “non-religious” in the next 20 years, as opposed to 15% today. Let the polarization begin.
- TV: US households watch more TV than the rest of the world in ridiculous amounts. I don’t think it means we’re stupid. Just look at the quality of the shows…Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl, The Office…
- IRAN: It turns out, Iran has been secretly enriching Uranium and building nuclear weapons. Now, they’re test firing missiles. Does anyone else find this a little disturbing?
- HIV: In more positive news, a new HIV vaccine has proved to reduce the risk of contracting HIV by 31% (in an trial conducted in Thailand). You should still, umm, go to the Health Center and get some condoms and worry about the H1N1 vaccine first.
- POLANSKI: Roman Polanski, edgiest director to ever have lived, was arrested while trying to enter Switzerland today for raping sleeping with a 13 year old girl…in the 1970s. I don’t know what’s more absurd, the fact that he escaped US authorities for 30+ years or the AP report notes leading up to the arrest.
- COCA-COLA: To benefit the victims of last Spring’s earthquake in L’Aquila, Italy, high fashion designers Missoni, Versace and others designed Coke Zero bottles for the runway.
- OBAMA: Who is President Obama and why do we hate him? That’s what I want to know.
Video of the Week: Throughout last week’s G-20 Summit in Philadelphia, Obama’s shiny white smile never changed…ever.